Today in History:

60 Series I Volume LIII- Serial 111 - Supplements

Page 60 S. C., S. GA., MID. & E. FLA., & WEST. N. C. Chapter LXV.

town until such time as they can be safely removed to general hospitals. I subjoin a brief recapitulation: Number of days marching during campaign, 39; averabe number miles marched daily, 11 1/2; ratio per 1,000 of mean strength unfit for duty during campaign, 49.36; number wounded on campaign, 697; number deaths from wounds (approximately), 60; number deaths from disease, 46; number sent to rear since leaving Pocotaligo, 280. It is unnecessary for me to say more for the medial staff of the army than that all duties pertaining to it have been discharged with the usual promptitude, cheerfulness, and fidelity.

I am, very respectfully, your obedient servant,


Assistant Surgeon, U. S. Army, Acting Medical Director Army of the Tennessee.

Major General O. O. HOWARD,

Commanding Army of the Tennessee.


Report of Captain Samuel Cuskaden, Fifty-second Pennsylvania Infantry, of occupation of Charleston, S. C., February 18.


Charleston, S. C., March 6, 1865.

LIEUTENANT: In compliance with the request of Major Hennessy, Fifty-second Pennsylvania Volunteers, I have the honor to forward to you an account of the taking of Charleston and the batteries and forts around it:

On the morning of the 18th ultimo I rode up to Fort Strong, Morris Island, to meet Lieutenant-Colonel Bennett, being assistant provost-marshal on his staff. On meeting him he ordered me to make a reconnaissance of Fort Sumter. I started immediately for Cummings Point and found my boat manned by men of the Third Rhode Island Artillery, under the command of a second lieutenant. He informed me he had orders to proceed to Fort Moultrie to raise the flag there. I sent an orderly after a storm flag, which I had at my quarters, and ordered the men to pull for Fort Sumter. When within 100 yards of there we saw a boat load of deserters approaching. We signaled for them to come on, and pulled to meet them. They informed us that the city was evacuated excepting a few cavalry left to destroy the city. Ordering the Third Rhode Island men to proceed to Fort Moultrie, I got in the boat with the deserters and tried to induce them to pull for Fort sumber, but neither threats nor promises would make them do so. They assured me the place was thoroughly mined and that they would not risk it. I then pulled for Cummings Point to inform Lieutenant-Colonel Bennett of the statements of the deserters. He was waiting on the beach. Taking in a new crew of the Twenty-first U. S. Colored Troops, and receiving Lieutenant-Colonel Bennett and Lieutenant Haviland, One hundred and twnty-seventh New York, acting assistant inspector-general, into my boat, we pulled out into the harbor. We met Major Hennessy, Fifty-second Pennsylvania Volunteers, in the Ripley boat and told him of the situation at Fort Sumter. He (Major H[ennessy]) started immediately for the fort, and at 9.04 a. m. by Lieutenant Haviland's watch the major with a few men, scaled the parapet and waved the regimental flag of the Fifty-second Pennsylvania Volunteers over the torn and battered walls of Fort Sumter. Lieutenant-Colonel Bennett then ordered the boat on to Fort Ripley.

Page 60 S. C., S. GA., MID. & E. FLA., & WEST. N. C. Chapter LXV.