Today in History:

52 Series I Volume LIII- Serial 111 - Supplements

Page 52 S. C., S. GA., MID. & E. FLA., & WEST. N. C. Chapter LXV.

belonging to officers, as well as public stores, having accumulated in Atlanta, I directed Captain Kennedy, assistant quartermaster, to take charge of it and transport it to Nashville. I left Atlanta on the 8th of November, reaching Louisville on the 11th. At Louisville I opened an office, wrote my last year's annual report, and sent in estimates of clothing, &c., for the Army of the Tennessee. Numerous claims being presented for payment I appointed Captain A. G. Burr, assistant quartermaster, disbursing officer for the department.

On the 27th of December I received orders to proceed with the headquarters to Savannah. I immediately went to New York to procure transportation. There wee a large number of officers and men and about twenty tons of freight. The steamship Cahawbaeas assigned me.

On the 7th of January, 1865, we moved out into the river, and the next day put to sea. The passage was rough, and the vessel, as I afterward found, unseaworthy, but we arrived in safety at Beaufort, S. C. On reporting to General Howard I was ordered to report to the Quartermaster-General, then in Savannah. I proceed in the steamer Crescent City and reported accordingly. By you I was ordered to report to General Easton, and by him to General Sherman, whoplaced me on his staff as chief quartermaster, Military Division of the Mississippi, in the field. General Sherman's army was now rapidly moving on its South Carolina campaign. The Army of the Tennessee had gone by sea to Beaufort. The Army of Georgia moved up the Savannah River to cross at Sister's Ferry. On the 23rd of January I proceeded with the military division headquarters to Beaufort, S. C. January 27 marched to Pocotaligo, a distance of twenty-two miles; the road, lying through some of the worst swamps of South Carolina, had to be corduroyed nearly half the distance. We went into camp at Elliott's plantation and remained there till the 1st of February. Here I wrote up and mailed my January reports.

On the morning of February 1 we moved, traveling with the Fifteenth Corps. We marched this day twenty-three miles, going into camp at Hickory Hill Post-Office. Some skirmishing occurred on the front, ak private and one lieutenant being killed. February 2, marched to Duck Creek; ten miles; more skirmishing; several men killed on both sides. Next day remained in camp awaiting the Army of Georgia to close up. February 4, marched to the Salkehatchie; camped near Buford's Bridge. General Howard having fought his way across at Binnaker's Bridge, this strong point was abandoned without a struggle. We had, however, to rebuild the causeway across the marsh that borders the river. This causeway, two miles in length and containing twenty-seven small bridges over the little rivers of the marsh, was built between 4 o'clock in the afternoon and the following morning. Next day we went across the river and camped at Bufrod's Bridge. February 6, marched eleven miles; camped at Doctor Fisbhurn's plantation. At the crossing of the Little Salkehatchie the enemy fought three hours and burned the bridge. A new bridge was soon built. Beyond the bridge the trains were compelled to pass through water for nearly two miles to the depth of from two to four feet. February 7, marched into Bamberg; five miles. This was a once thriving town on the Charleston and Augusta Railroad. The Fifteenth Corps was busy tearing up the railroad; as we entered the last rrain to Charleston passed about 4 o'clock that morning. In Bamberg we found an immense quantity of cotton, which was burned. February 9, marched to Walker's plantation; distance, ten miles. Here we remained one day while the troops were completing

Page 52 S. C., S. GA., MID. & E. FLA., & WEST. N. C. Chapter LXV.