Today in History:

112 Series I Volume L-I Serial 105 - Pacific Part I


remain there eight days, unless he received other orders from me. If at the expiration of eight days I should not have returned or sent back an express, I directed him to return to the river and wait for me there two days and then proceed up the river and report to General Carleton. I left Van Horn's Wells at about 4 p. m. and arrived at Dead Man's Hole at about 2 a. m. ; found sufficient water for the animals, but not enough for a company; distance, thirty-five miles.

Started at 6. 30 a. m. and arrived at Barrel Springs at 3 p. m., having halted on the road to graze the animals. Found water anough at these springs for one company. Remained here that night, and on the next afternoon sent forward Corporal Bartlett, with one private and the Mexican guide, to find out the condition of affairs at Fort Davis, distant eighteen miles. They returned about noon the next day, having performed their duty in such a manner that if the fort had been occupied by the C. S. troops their (Corporal Bartless and party) presence could not have been discovered. They reported the fort unoccupied, and I, thinking it best not to send back for the company on account of the scarcity of water, proceeded to the fort. I found it entirely deserted, but in one of the buildings of the Overland Mail Company I found the dead body of a man lying on the floor. He had been shor through the bodywith a bullet and had an arrow wound on the head and one on the arm. From the appearance of the room I think that it has been used by the Confederate troops as a hospital, and this man left there sick and afterward killed by the Indians. I had the body buried. The fort appears to have been garrisoned by the C. S. troops since their first appearance in the country by at least a portion of one company. It also seemed to have been used as a rendezvous for sick soldiers, but they had all left with the last detachment for San Antonio.

The following is a description of the buildings at the fort: Five company quarters, about 80 by 25 feet; one story high; built of stone; thatched roof. Four of these buildings are in fair condition. The roof, doors, and windows of one have been burned. One guard house, about 80 by 25 feet; building stone; roof, doors, and windows burned. One quartermaster's store-house, about 100 by 20 feet, built of stone; roof, doors, and windows entirely destroyed; surrounded by several small buildings; use not know. One wooden or slab building, 30 by 16 feet; thatched roof; used as an adjutant' office. One wooden building, 36 by 27 feet, with kitchen and several small outbuildings; supposed to have been the commanding officer's quarters. On this building the flag was raised and kept up one day. One wooden building, 48 by 22 feet, withkitchen and outhouses attache; supposed to have been officers' quarters. One wooden building, 22 by 12 feet, with one small outbuilding, 10 by 14 feet. One wooden building, 36 by 18 feet; one outbuilding, 14 by 12 feet; one slab building, 40 by feet; one slab building, 50 by 14 feet; one slab building, 20 by 12 feet; one slab building, 20 by feet; one slab building, 30 by 15 feet; one outhouse, 10 by 12 feet; seven small slab outhouses; one slab stable, 50 by 14 feet; one stone and mud house; three small slab buildings. One Overland Mail measurements, as I had no other means of doing. One Overland Mail station, consisting of house, store-house, shop, stable, saddlery, granry, &c. ; one adobe building, formerly used as a store. Many of the doors and windows have been destroyed. Some seem to have been hauled off; others burned. One wagon stands loaded with lumber. I have heard a report, in fact, that the entire fort was sold by the C. S. Officers to some party at Del Norte, Mexico. Property consists of some iron in quartermaster's store-house, some 100 horseshoes, two old citizen