Today in History:

BGES, Twenty Years

BGES, Twenty Years of Having Fun While Doing Good!

alt

Slow
ly; but, steadily a Chatham, Virginia based nonprofit educational group has been making a significant impact on the landscape of Civil War battlefields and sites.  Founded in 1994, The Blue and Gray Education Society (The Bee Gees—BGES) has funded, completed and monitored projects across the country with over 100 interpretative signs, 17 cannons, 3 National Geographic Society books, 19 scholarly monographs and study tours to over 400 different battlefields from the 17th century King Phillip’s War in Massachusetts to World War II sites in the Pacific and Europe.  The majority being in the Civil War and Indian Wars period.
alt
“The BGES is fueled by about 350 likeminded donor members who believe that actions speak louder than words” says founder and Executive Director, Len Riedel.  “We’ve recently placed 43
signs at Bermuda Hundred, 15 at Perryville and 13 more at North Anna—all in less than 10 months,” notes Riedel. “The members shared our enthusiasm for the opportunities and funded all three projects at 100% in less than 30 days for each one.  A project to fund half the cost of a cannon at Pelham’s Corner in Fredericksburg was also finished in a little over a month—indeed BGES members provided 2/3 of the $20,000 cost.”  BGES has completed three books with the National Geographic Society and is under contract to do a fourth that will be released in February 2016.  What is remarkable is that BGES has only one employee—Riedel.  “If I didn’t do this, I’d have to work for a living” quips Riedel “seriously we just have too much fun it is better to see results than to jawbone endlessly about what “needs” to be done.” 

BGES tours are special treats as well, designed to be conducted by vans the tours are noteworthy for the historians used and the depth and access the programs gain.  Kentucky physician, Gary Wilson used to take other organizations’ tours but has settled in with BGES “They are the best!”  Ohio based retiree, Kirk Hinman agrees “I first went with Len over 10 years ago on a round table tour—I had been paying quadruple what he charges and found his to be superior in every way!”  BGES doesn’t limit themselves to paying gigs, for 8 years they have been partnered with the Yellow Ribbon Fund delivering about 8 free tours a year from Fort Belvoir and Bethesda for wounded warriors and their families.  “I don’t know how he does it, but I fully
support what he does—especially for the troops” states Jim Anderson, CEO of Innomed Inc., a medical devices manufacturing organization based in Savannah.

BGES is noteworthy by the company it keeps and members include Pulitzer Prize winning historian Jim McPherson, Ed Bearss, North and South author John Jakes and Forrest Gump author, Winston Groom.  The late Secretary of State Lawrence Eagleburger was also a member.  All are bonded by the simple but effective mission of “Revealing Our Past for Our Future.”  You can be a part, membership donations are tax deductible.  Click here if you want to join up.