Today in History:

Eutaw (1863-1867)

User Rating: 0 / 5

Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive
 

USS Eutaw, a 1173-ton Sassacus class "double-ender" steam gunboat built at Baltimore, Maryland, was commissioned in July 1863. Assigned to the North Atlantic Blockading Squadron, she spent most of the Civil War operating on the Potomac and James Rivers and along the Atlantic coast. In May 1864, Eutaw covered the army as it landed below City Point, Virginia, and, in July of that year, she bombarded the Confederates at Malvern Hill. Later in July 1864, she towed the ill-fated monitor Tecumseh to the Gulf of Mexico, returning to the James River in August. In April 1865, with the War nearly at an end, Eutaw went to New York, where she decommissioned in early May. She was sold in October 1867.

This page features our only view of USS Eutaw.

Photo #: NH 61876

USS Eutaw (1863-1867)


Lithograph published by Endicott & Co., New York, circa 1865.
This image was used in Endicott & Co. prints to represent many, if not all, of the Sassacus class "double-ender" gunboats.



Please login to post a comment. You may create an account using the form available to the right.

 

Major Battles of the Civil War

 

Banner