||Monroe’s Cross Roads
||Fayetteville Road, Blue’s Farm
||Campaign of the Carolinas (February-April 1865)
||March 10, 1865
||Brig. Gen. Judson Kilpatrick [US]; Maj. Gen. Joseph Wheeler and Lt. Gen. Wade
||Kilpatrick’s Cavalry Division (1,850) [US]; Wheeler’s and Hampton’s Cavalry Division (3,000)
||269 total (US 183; CS 86)
||As Sherman’s army advanced into North Carolina, Kilpatrick’s Cavalry Division screened its left
flank. On the evening of March 9, two of Kilpatrick’s brigades encamped near the Charles Monroe House in
Cumberland (now Hoke) County. Early on the 10th, Confederate cavalry under the command of Lt. Gen. Wade
Hampton surprised the Federals in their camps, driving them back in confusion and capturing wagons and artillery.
The Federals regrouped and counterattacked, regaining their artillery and camps after a desperate fight. With
Union reinforcements on the way, the Confederates withdrew.