Call for Military Memorabilia
The Ohio History Connection, in coordination with the Ohio Department of Veterans Services, is requesting donations of memorabilia from current and past military service members to help preserve and showcase the stories of Ohio’s veterans and their families in times of active service.
The Ohio History Connection is especially in need of items from the Korean War, Vietnam War and recent conflicts in the Persian Gulf, Iraq and Afghanistan. Some of the donated items may also be included in a signature exhibit at the new Ohio Veterans Memorial and Museum.
“These generous donations will make it possible for us to share our military history with current and future generations,” says Burt Logan, Executive Director and CEO of the Ohio History Connection. “Preserving these items is one way to honor the lives of the nearly one million Ohio veterans who have served in our nation’s military.”
Ohioans are invited to contribute to this call by donating keepsakes and other items, especially:
• Mementos from service that carry personal significance or objects used during service and after returning home that carry personal significance
• Items related to the role of women in military service
• Objects representing all military branches
• Special items that reflect life after returning home and the experience of being a veteran
• Audio and video recordings, as well as letters to and from home
• Photographs taken during service
• Items used to communicate during active duty, like walkie-talkies
• Military items from service members from all of Ohio’s 88 counties and under-represented groups