Today in History:

Tonawanda (1865-1874)

User Rating: 0 / 5

Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive
 

USS Tonawanda, a 3400-ton twin-turret monitor built at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, was commissioned in October 1865. She was laid up at the Washington Navy Yard, D.C., between late 1865 and October 1866, then became a training ship at the U.S. Naval Academy, Annapolis, Maryland. In June 1869 she was renamed Amphitrite. The monitor's Naval Academy tour ended in 1872. She was broken up at the Wilmington, Delaware, in 1873-74 under the guise of being "rebuilt" into a modern monitor. The completely new monitor that replaced her was also named Amphitrite, but shared nothing but the name with the older ship.

This page features all the views we have related to USS Tonawanda, which was renamed Amphitrite in 1869.

Photo #: NH 42753

USS Tonawanda
(1865-1874, renamed Amphitrite in 1869)

Anchored in the Severn River, Annapolis, Maryland, while serving as a training ship at the U.S. Naval Academy, circa 1866-1872.
The original photograph is the right side of a stereograph pair.

Donation of Dr. G.S. Franklin.





A stereo pair version of this image is available as Photo # NH 42753-A

Online Image of stereo pair: 51KB; 675 x 380 pixels

Photo #: NH 44650

USS Tonawanda
(1865-1874, renamed Amphitrite in 1869)

Off the U.S. Naval Academy, Annapolis, Maryland, circa 1870.

Donation of Captain C.C. Marsh, USN



Photo #: NH 90533

USS Tonawanda
(1865-1874, renamed Amphitrite in 1869)

Off the U.S. Naval Academy, Annapolis, Maryland, circa 1870.

Collection of the Pennsylvania Military Order of the Loyal Legion of the United States, Philadelphia, Pa.



Photo #: NH 48107

Ships moored off the Washington Navy Yard, D.C.


Photographed from the stern of USS Minatanomoh, circa 1865-66.
Ships in the foreground are the monitors Chimo and Tonawanda. Beyond them is the ex-CSS Stonewall.

Courtesy of Mrs. W.E. Taylor, 1941, from the collection of Medical Inspector William E. Taylor, USN.



Photo #: NH 58936

Washington Navy Yard, D.C.


Ships moored in the Anacostia River off the Yard's waterfront, after the end of the Civil War, about 1865.
The large twin-turret monitor in the center is Miantonomoh, with the smaller monitor Montauk tied up alongside her, to the left. In the left distance are the "light draft" monitor Chimo and the twin-turret monitor Tonawanda. The former Confederate ironclad Stonewall is beyond them.
In the right distance is the Yard's western shiphouse. Ship at right is probably USS Resaca.
The original print is mounted on a carte de visite produced by Christimo, 45 Rua de Quitanda, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

Courtesy of Mrs. W.E. Taylor, 1941, from the collection of Medical Inspector William E. Taylor, USN.



Photo #: NH 46618

U.S. Naval Academy, Annapolis, Maryland


Ships in the Severn River, off the Naval Academy, circa 1866-1870. They are (from left): an unidentified "Double-ender" gunboat; USS Tonawanda (renamed Amphitrite in 1869); and USS America (1862-1873).



Photo #: NH 2120

U.S. Naval Academy, Annapolis, Maryland


View of the Academy waterfront area, circa 1869, looking northeast from the tower of "New Quarters".
The twin-turret monitor moored in the Severn River, at left, is USS Tonawanda (renamed Amphitrite in 1869). Ships at the pier in right center are USS Dale and USS Santee.



Photo #: NH 49813

U.S. Naval Academy, Annapolis, Maryland


View of the Academy waterfront area, circa the late 1860s, looking northeast from the tower of "New Quarters".
The twin-turret monitor moored in the Severn River, at left, is USS Tonawanda (renamed Amphitrite in 1869). Ships at the pier in right center are Constellation, USS Dale and USS Santee.
Note the small tug on the beach at left, apparently under construction or undergoing a major overhaul, and the side-wheel steamer at the dock.
Compare this view with Photo # NH 2120, showing much the same scene but without the buildings in the lower left.



Photo #: NH 42272

USS Tonawanda
(1865-1874)

Hull plan, showing lines and details of some wooden structural members, the sternpost and rudder. The plan is marked "Copied Dec. 16th 1868. U.S. Navy Yard, Philadelphia. Pa. F.D. Wilson, A.N.C.".

The original drawing is in the Records of the Bureau of Ships, held by the U.S. National Archives.



Online Image: 121KB; 1200 x 690 pixels

Please login to post a comment. You may create an account using the form available to the right.

 

Major Battles of the Civil War

 

Banner