Today in History:

Kanawha Valley (1862)

User Rating: 0 / 5

Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive
 

Kanawha Valley, a 147-ton stern-wheel river steamer, was built at Wheeling, Virginia, in 1860. During the first part of the Civil War she was used by the Confederates as a floating hospital. Kanawha Valley was burned in early April 1862, during the Federal attacks on Island Number Ten.

This page features our only view of CSS Kanawha Valley.

Photo #: NH 59024

"View of Steamers Sunk by the Rebels Between Island Number Ten and New Madrid"


Line engraving, based on a sketch by Alexander Simplot, published in "Harper's Weekly", 1862, depicting ships sunk by the Confederates off their fortifications at Island Number 10, circa 7 April 1862.
As identified on the engraving, the ships are (from left to right): Champion, Yazoo, Grampus, John Simonds, Red Rover, Prince, Admiral, Ohio Belle, De Soto, Kanawha Valley, Winchester and Mars. Most of these vessels, some of which were not sunk, were later employed by the Union forces.



Please login to post a comment. You may create an account using the form available to the right.

 

Major Battles of the Civil War

 

Banner